Schools have the ability to set-up what kinds of payments are accepted for the exams. TR has found that it is very helpful to give families clear guidance regarding the forms of payment accepted.
This is the symbol TR will use throughout the site. For U.S. schools this should be $.
Payment Types Accepted
This primarily refers to they the types of payments that are accepted at school. Credit or Debit Card Online will automatically be selected for schools that have set-up online payment processing. Schools have the ability to select from standard payment options TR has configured as well as custom configured options. To create a custom option, enter the payment option in the white text field. To use more than one custom option, click the Add More link to add another custom field. You may create as many custom options as you desire.
TR has several options in terms on online payments.
- No Online Payment - All payments will be collected at school. This is the standard option for the TR's registration. Students will print a confirmation and return it to school with their payment. Schools will need to receipt the payment according to district policy and record the payment in TR. TR has created two simple utilities to record payments. Recording payments allows the system to keep track of who still needs to pay. Schools can use TR to send emails to students with a balance due.
- Total Registration Sells Exams - TR offers an option where schools elect for TR to sell the exams. With this option, all students will purchase their exams from Total Registration, either online with a debit or credit card or by mail with a personal check, cashier's check or money order. This options removes all the payments from school as TR will process, receipt and record all payments. TR will purchase exams from schools on a monthly basis. This option is extremely convenient for families as they can pay their fees online all on the registration site, without visiting another web store. Since TR sells the exams, schools do not need to set-up a merchant account and gateway, saving set-up and monthly fees.
- The cost of these option is 4.0% ($1.00 minimum) of the fees students pay. Most school pass the cost of this convenience on to families by increasing the exam cost.
- Schools using this option need to fill in where the monthly checks need to be mailed
- RevTrak Integration - Total Registration has an interface with school payment processor RevTrak. In order to use this option, schools/district must be set-up with RevTrak. Students will register online with TR. TR will then send them to a RevTrak cart that will contain their exam fee. Families will pay at RevTrak and RevTrak will update TR with the complete transaction. TR will record the payment with the student's record, removing the need for schools to enter these payments.
- There is an additional fee from TR to interface wtih RevTrak as well as the costs that RevTrak charges. Most schools will build these costs into the exam fee.
- PaySchools Integration - Total Registration has an interface wtih school payment processor PaySchools. In order to use this option, schools/district must be set-up with PaySchools. Students will register online with TR. TR will then send them to a PaySchools' cart that will contain their exam fee. Families will pay at PaySchools and PaySchools will update TR with the complete transaction. TR will record the payment with the student's record, removing the need for schools to enter these payments.
- There is an additional fee from TR to interface with PaySchools as well as the costs that PaysSchools charges. Most schools will build these costs into the exam fee.
- Merchant Account Integration using Authorize.net pr USAePay - TR can interface with a school or district's merchant account (account that accepts credit cards) using either the Authorizxe.net or USAePay gateways (a gateway is needed for schools to accept online payments). Students will enter their payment information on the preview page of the registration site. Before the the registration is complete, TR will send the payment information to the gateway for authorization. If the transaction is approved, the registration is completed. Since the school's or district's merchant account is used, funds will be directly deposited into the bank account associated with the merchant account.
For some of the interfaces, Total Registration will send a credit card receipt to the cardholder. For other interfaces, the payment processor sends the receipt. In the case that TR sends the receipt, schools will need to enter the merchant name (please check with your merchant account provider) so that families can be aware of how the transaction will appear on their monthly statement. This helps remove confusion and the possibility of card holders disputing a transaction.
Some interfaces allow schools to charge a convenience fee for payments made online. These convenience fees can be calculated per transaction or per exam. TR does not recommend using convenience fees at the tend to discourage families form paying online. If schools need to cover some of the processing cost, it is better to increase the exam cost and have all students pay the same amount whether they pay online or pay at school. This model increases the number of payments online.
Credit Cards Accepted
Some of the interfaces require that schools inform TR regarding the cards accepted. Some cards are more expensive to process so schools/districts sometimes elect to not accept all cards when they set-up their merchant account. It is important that TR knows which cards are accepted so that families may only choose from these cards when paying.
Schools using Total Registration payment processing can configure a partial payments option. Total Registration will charge a $2.75 fee for each payment made less than the remaining balance. For example, if a family makes two payments they will be charged one partial payment fee as the first payment is less than the amount due and the second is equal to the outstanding balance. The processing fee for partial payments is paid to TR (the school does not receive this fee) and is non-refundable. Schools to have the ability to set the minimum allowable payment, either a total amount or the minimum per exam, limiting the number of payments a family can make.
Total Registration does not recommend using partial payments as families will forget to later log in and complete their payment causing a larger number of students with a balance due.